In recent times, there has been incidence of market fires in the country namely, Odawna market, some parts of Kantamanto as well as parts of the Kaneshie Central Market that happened on Saturday, 19 December, 2020.
Many Ghanaians are asking questions as to what might have led to the recent infernos wreaking havoc on our markets resulting in the loss of livelihoods.
While authorities at the Ghana National Fire and Rescue Service are yet to make their findings known as to the cause of these fires, the New Patriotic Party (NPP) through its General Secretary, Mr. John Boadu, has issued a statement Monday, December 21, 2020, alleging at who they believe is the cause.
The statement signed by John Boadu, said it was the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) who were using their supporters to set the fires in order to vent their frustrations over the December 7 election results.
“The NPP has noted with grave concerns and revulsion, the increasing spate of market fires being experienced across the country in recent times. The sheer rampancy and coincidence with which the markets are burning, coupled with the constant threats by some elements of the opposition to burn markets in order to drum home their concerns over the outcome of the 2020 general elections, leaves no lingering doubt that they are behind these arson attacks,” the NPP said in a statement.
The statement hence, charged the police to do thorough investigations and arrest the culprits to face the law.
“While commending the Police for arresting one of the suspected arsonists behind the Kantamanto fire outbreak by name, Daniel Dah Kormlah, who had been identified as an active member of the opposition NDC, we also implore the police to immediately arrest Daniel Tee together with all his accomplices and make them face the full rigours of the law.”
But reacting to the allegations Monday, December 21, 2020, on Citi FM’s Eye Witness News and closely monitored by Tungsung Radio, Member of Parliament-Elect for Madina constituency, lawyer Francis Xavier Sosu described the allegations as preposterous.
“That’s very, very preposterous. It’s a very lame attempt to create disaffection for the NDC in the case of the electoral fraud the NDC has raised against the governing party (NPP) and the EC (Electoral Commission of Ghana).”
“ NDC has no intention whatsoever or any desire to whatsoever in causing pain to any Ghanaian as a means to rise to political office,” Xavier Sosu assured.
He said the former President John Dramani Mahama track record as a peaceful person right from his days as an Assembly Member through to becoming the President of the country is known by all and that the former President has no intention or any reason to cause any such fires in the country.
According to him, his rejection of this year’s election results was due to its fraudulent nature resulting in his call to all stakeholders to look at the issues he has raised.
He claimed it was a grand scheme carefully designed by the NPP to turn people against the NDC in their fight for justice. He said the NDC as a party would never seek to inflict any sort of pain on Ghanaians just to attain power.
He said what the NPP should be doing instead, is to be responding to the vote malpractices claims that the NDC has been levelling against them.
Responding to the arrest of his client – Eric Adogla, the driver to the Deputy General Secretary of the NDC, Peter Boamah Otukunor, as suspect in the arson attack, Xavier Sosu described the arrest as unlawful.
Narrating the arrest, Mr. Sosu said the suspect and his wife were at home when about 15 armed security operatives stormed their home saying they were there to search for arms.
He said after combing every where and finding none, they seized the phone of the suspect and that of his wife and whisked him away without telling the suspect the crime he might have committed.
The Human Rights lawyer noted that under the law, the arresting officer is mandated to state to the suspect the reason for his arrest before executing same.
According to him, all efforts to have access to the suspect have not been successful as officers from the National Intelligence Bureau (NIB) have refused to tell them of his whereabouts.
He said if by the next day – Tuesday, December 22, 2020, they have not granted them access to him, they would go to court to force them to comply to let them have access to their client.